Angry Little Tank

Rants, chants and cants....all written while wearing no pants!

Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, February 02, 2007

Fuck the New Republic, or Flip on the light switch and watch them all scatter

I have a confession to make. I used to subscribe to the New Republic. I mean for YEARS. I readily listened to their ramblings about the relationships between the hand of the free market and the spread of democracy throughout the world. I eagerly awaited the next rambling from Provincetown from editor Andrew Sullivan (oh my God, is that what he looks like?! That's one Republican I'd bend over and....), and I never questioned that the opinions of the editors were those of an enlightened and evolved liberal intelligentsia.

Yes we were going to ride Bill Clinton's unique brand of laissez faire economics coupled with common sense social legislation right into the 21st century and beyond. The fact that Newt Gingrich and that gang opposed the entire idea just made it seem that much more attractive.

Then the war happened. Suddenly the real agenda of the New Republic became clear. Keep the liberals on the reservation at all costs. Make them think that their nutty ideas were never going to be taken seriously so the best thing to do would be to just try and go along with whatever the Republicans wanted. Or better yet, try and come up with new and better justifications for going to war than the the neo-cons ever could.

Who can forget the famous cases for war issue of the New Republic with nuclear mushroom cloud on the cover? Their endorsement of Joe Lieberman for president? Their near constant fellating of Bush's war plans. Which war plans you ask? Uhhh..that would be all of them.

One of the greatest joys I had in 2003 was cancelling my subscription after 8 years. I'm taking even greater joy in learning that I wasn't alone. Most people are seeing these jackasses for who they really are and circulation has plummeted to Limbaugh Letter levels.

Of course being caught red handed engaging in sock puppetry or being an outright racist while publishing your vile little screeds doesn't help either.

My new favorite thing to do? Get out the thickest black Sharpie we own and scrawl "Lieberman for President? FUCK YOU!!!" on all of the subscription renewal offers we receive every other week and then mail them back to TNR in the postage paid envelope.

RIP enabling DINO rags..wherever you are.

1 Comments:

Anonymous dolly said...

Ugh, I've been a long-time subscriber to "the Nation" so I find the "new Republic" abhorrent. Nice to hear someone else's perspective though.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home