Angry Little Tank

Rants, chants and cants....all written while wearing no pants!

Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Rankin and Bass you slay me

I'm not usually one given to sentimentality, but whenever I watch these old Christmas TV programs that get hauled out every year I just start crying. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, A Year Without a Sanata Claus, Frosty The Snow Man, all were done by those masters of 70's animation Rankin and Bass.

If you grew up during the 70's you no doubt remember the thrill and excitment that would erupt whenever CBS played that intro during the holiday season that indicated regular programming was being pre-empted. Mom would call out "Kids! Rudolph's on!" and have hot chocolate ready for us as we scrambled into the living room in our pajamas. While the Christmas lights played in the background my brothers and I sat transfixed and watched these things year after year.

Now I'm all grown up and piling these same programs up on my DVR. I can't watch them without getting a little choked up. For Mom, who had so much fun watching them each year and for my brothers who were there with me each year in our pj's. Christmas just wouldn't be the same without it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home