Angry Little Tank

Rants, chants and cants....all written while wearing no pants!

Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Wow the 90's sucked

Ever since early August I've been tuning in to my XM Radio to listen to something called It. The idea is to basically play every single song that hit the charts from 1940 through 2006.

We're finally up to 1992 and one thing I've noticed is that music in the 1990's was weak. Everything sounds the same. You can break everything down into either hair metal (Guns n' Roses, Skid Row, etc.), generic ballads sung by black women (Whitney, Vanessa Williams, Toni Braxton, etc.), or generic hip hop (Bell Biv Devoe, Tony Toni Tone, etc.)

What a bunch of absolute shite. I blame 40 something baby boomers recently out of rehab after their 80's coke binge for buying this crap. Who else but some burned out 40 year old soccer mom would think Celine Dion was worth the time of day?

I was in college at this time and I remember drifting from my angry thrash phase (Slayer, Metallica, etc.) to listening solely to the college radio station after hitting Florida State. Nirvana, Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam? I was seeing those guys for free at the pizza joint in the student quad, based solely on what I was hearing on my radio while delivering pizzas around town.

There was good music being made, but it sure as hell wasn't on the charts.

Bottom line? Manufactured corporate music will always suck.

Update: I just heard "Have I Told You Lately" by Rod Stewart. Fuck you too 1993!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home