Angry Little Tank

Rants, chants and cants....all written while wearing no pants!

Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, September 11, 2006

In Memorium

I told myself I would avoid any maudlin sentimentality today. It seems like everybody with a blog out there has written exhaustively today about what occurred 5 years ago and how we've been lied to and exploited since then. What more could I add?

But I'd be remiss if I didn't link to this post I found on the Daily Kos concerning all of the gay Americans that died that day. Unlike everyone else who died, their stories were usually buried or sanitized. Nobody really talked about who gay partners were ineligible for death benefits. Nobody mentioned that the Catholic priest who died while administering last rites was gay.

Even sadder, partners of closeted police and firefighters had to mourn in secret. They would not have been welcome at any of the public memorials to honor their immense loss.

All of us had to suffer indignities such as the Christian Right telling us

I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who try to secularize America...I point the thing in their face and say you helped this happen."


We're stronger and tougher than any of these "people" will ever realize. We suffered these indignities and more while mourning along with everyone else.

But now we're moving on. We'll get our rights one day and we'll make sure that this kind of reprehensible scapegoating in the face of a national tragedy never occurs again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home