Angry Little Tank

Rants, chants and cants....all written while wearing no pants!

Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, August 13, 2006




The Weekend Wiki - fall rugby season kickoff edition

In honor of the kickoff of fall practice this past week of my team, the Philly Gryphons, I decided to do a quick post on the origins and rules of rugby.

And yes, I know this is two days late.

First some basics. You can only pass backwards in rugby. This ensures that the only way to move the ball forward up the field is either by running with it or kicking it. Union league play consists of 15 people on each side. There is also something called "league" play with slightly different rules and 13 people on each side. There is also something called sevens, but let's not go there.


The rules themselves are far too arcane to go into via a blog entry, especially in light of the link provided. Suffice it to say that most are ignored by the players and missed by the ref during an 80 minute battle between 30 men.

With my torn ACL still needing repair (I'm holding off gettng it fixed until I figure out what's going on with my job search), its starting to sink into my skull that I probably won't be playing again anytime soon. Its a damn shame too. I never really "got" team sports growing up and for the first time really felt like I was part of something special during a sporting event. Not to mention, playing totally butched up my image.

If you live in the Philly area and you're interested in learning more about the game or possibly participating I encourage you to check out the Gryphons (my old team, link provided above). You'll have a blast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home