Angry Little Tank

Rants, chants and cants....all written while wearing no pants!

Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, July 21, 2006




The Friday Wiki - Petarded

One of my favorite scenes from Family Guy deals with Stewie interacting with his teddy bear Rupert in the family living room. He tells Rupert "No, seriously Rupert gullible isn't in the dictionary, if you don't believe me just look it up!". After handing the inanimate stuffed animal a dictionary he then exclaims "What's that you say? Its NOT in the dictionary? Let me see that!"

He then flashes a sly grin and congratulations Rupert on a prank well played. "Oh Rupert, TOUCHE! Hoisted by my own petard" He then goes on to lament "I am SO alone"

Aside from being a hilarious scene that works on so many levels (I mean how many of us haven't felt isolated by our own genius) it brings us to a rather obscure saying. What is a petard? How can you be hoisted by it?

A petard was a medieval term for bombs used to crash castle gates. In modern times we use the phrase "hoisted by my own petard" to mean "to be harmed by one's own plan to harm someone else". The french use the term petard to mean "fart". Essentially hoisting yourself by your own petard is to be lifted up by a bomb of your own making. Shakespeare famously used the phrase in Hamlet, which gives a rather disgusting idea some semblance of respectability I suppose.

Now you know....a million bonus points if you ever get to use it replete with Stewie accent after saying "touche". Sadly, I've done this several times to people who probably had no idea what I was talking about.

1 Comments:

Anonymous dolly said...

Cute! a good one!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home