Angry Little Tank

Rants, chants and cants....all written while wearing no pants!

Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Console Wars...are we all losers?

So the annual gaming expo E3 has come and gone. The hype of course surrounded the next gen consoles. Xbox has already made their debut with the X360. The initial game launch lineup was pretty damn weak in my opinion, but things seem to be shaping up with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Of course Sony is bringing out the Playstation 3. With the much lauded Cell processor, Blue Ray disc player and (finally) a deep online portal this is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Nintendo is coming at ya with Wii (pronounced "we", how precious is that). This one of course has their brand new controller that promises to revolutionize how we play games. Wanna open a door, move the controller forward. Wanna swing a sword in game, brandish the controller and start swinging.

They all look good in certain respects. I'm definitely down with the Wii if for no other reason than it is backward compatible with all Gamecube games. In addition, previous titles from Nintendo history will be available for download in the unit's hard drive. Never found the secret areas in Super Mario Brothers 3? Now's your chance loser.

What's a geek to do faced with these choices?

At $599 the Playstation 3 is ridiculously priced. There's no way I'm paying that much for a console. I'll wait until it falls down in price a bit. I like that its backwards compatible with PS2 and even PS1 games (!) and their free online service promises to be every bit as robust as Microsoft's.

Another part of me is just exhausted with all the hype. A few notable exceptions aside, aren't these all basically the same? Microsoft and Sony games are virtually indistinguishable from each other. I know, I know its early but still. More WWII first person shooters, awesome guys. Halo 3 is coming, uh yeah that should be fun. Even the Wii's coolest feature of downloadable classic games is basically just a nostalgia trip.

I guess I'm taking a wait and see attitude, but if anything this year's E3 is making me lean towards becoming a PC gamer. There are great MMORPG's on the way based on Lord of the Rings and Star Trek. There are great new Macs that will run Windows and give me all that great Mac OS goodness. Why do I want to jump into "the console wars"? Unless I see some really compelling games coming forward soon, I'm afraid the answer may be "I won't".

1 Comments:

Anonymous J. Cruz said...

The only thing that's gonna get me to buy a PS3 is Final Fantasy XIII. As for the Wii, Twilight Princess is a must have.

My only hope of salvation from the eternal damnation that is "unsecured personal debt" is going to be that FF13 doesn't come out until sometime in the middle of 2007.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home